What is the Good News?
I'm going to keep this simple. A Christian is a liar, a hypocrite, a jerk, a failure, a person who has given up, a prayer, a forgiver, a believer in God, a follower of Jesus, and an heir of all the blessings God can give a person.
THREE THINGS YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW
1. The Universe is getting old and dying. Science calls it the second law of thermodynamics. This law states that the total entropy (decay) of an isolated system (the Universe) can only increase over time or it can remain constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state (equilibrium) or undergoing a reversible process. The increase in entropy accounts for the irreversibility of natural processes, and the asymmetry between future and past. (whew)
2. The world we live can be a horrifying and cruel place. There are more sex slaves on our planet right now than at any other time in history. Although we like to thnk of ourselves as evolved, we know that mankind is not getting "nicer". On the contrary, we are morally degrading.
3. As part of that over-all decay, we stand individually as sinners. No matter how highly we think of ourselves or how much better we are in comparison to "worse" people, we still fall short of moral perfection. If we are honest, we will admit that we are in fact morally bankrupt.
The Bible describes it this way:
"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned." - Romans 5:12
THREE NEW THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
1. Jesus took your sin penalty.
"Christ redeemed us from that self-defeating, cursed life by absorbing it completely into himself. Do you remember the Scripture that says, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”? That is what happened when Jesus was nailed to the cross: He became a curse and at the same time dissolved the curse." Galatians 3:14
2. Jesus defeated death so that you can too.
" And now he has made all of this plain to us by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good News" - 2 Timothy 1:10
3. Jesus asks us to both recognize our sin and trust in Him alone as the rescue.
"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." - Romans 10:9 (ESV)
Before you go let me add one thing, all of this "saved from sin" stuff has nothing to do with how good or bad you have been in the past, or how well you do religion now. In fact, both of these things can just get in the way of your true spiritual growth. No, there is nothing you can do to add one single drop to the blood that Jesus shed to save you from your sins.
That's Why It's Called Amazing Grace!
The story in song
Now let's thank HIM!